Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday

My new attitude (see Tuesday's blog) is really working out for me! It was good to have a little reminder that singing isn't actually all about me. Can you imagine?

I am SO looking forward to this week, lots of work on music, yoga, and even the beginning of the school year isn't as scary as it usually is. To do: order Barenreiter Don Giovanni, since I get to sing Elvira again this season! I also have lots of music to learn for the High Holidays and for some upcoming concerts. I am so lucky that at some point in my early childhood, someone gave me those Mozart tapes. Now I'm addicted to this whole singing thing.

Tonight, for date night, we're going to see The Help. It was a fantastic book, and I can't wait to see how the movie measures up. And because I am cheap, we went to Walmart and bought movie candy, which I will sneak in. Don't tell anyone. :)



3 comments:

Mendel Markel, www.classicalvocals.com said...

What sort of music do you learn for the high holidays? Are you in a choir or the like? I'm a cantor for an orthodox synagogue, but it's all traditional stuff I've been hearing since I was a kid, no sheet music or anything to deal with, just a review to get the memory running. Of course this year I'm super excited to incorporate my new skills into the routine.

Jessica said...

We sing all acapella, and it is a mixed choir of men and women. A lot of the music is arranged by the cantor himself and the choir director, and a lot of the arrangements are of traditional melodies.

Mendel Markel, www.classicalvocals.com said...

Sounds like tons of fun. Currently I go solo, but the guys in my vocal quartet are talking about having our music director help us arrange the blessing of the new month. Maybe after that we can expand the repertoire to other prayers. We thought it would be nice to bring that to our shul. It's such a beautiful thing but is a tradition that is not as strong as it could and should be. Glad the cantorial arts are going strong in your neck of the woods :)