Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I love new york

I really do. Every time I go, I think how much I would someday love to live there.

And every time I go home to my nice comfortable cheap apartment in Baltimore, and look at my bank statement, I realize just how perfectly fine it is that I don't live there at the moment. Some day.

My jaunt to "the city" yesterday was super fun, and I was so relieved that even despite the frigid conditions, my two arias went VERY well. I could even go so far as to say I was on fire. Which is a dumb phrase, but describes my emotions quite well. So, it wasn't a wasted trip.

I did something really daring, too. I wore a dressy black turtleneck with a black skirt and black heels for the audition. This has never been done before. It is highly unusual, as you are usually supposed to try to show off your hot cleavage at auditions. But I was just too cold, people. And I thought, by golly! I'll be damned if I'm going to freeze my ass off for these people!

At the studio, I ran into my friend Jonathan, who is always a good person to ask about these things, and looked really dapper himself. "It's unusual to wear a turtleneck," he smiled tactfully, "do you have another option?"

Yes I did have something else, but I didn't wear it. I wore the turtleneck anyway, and it was almost scary how comfortable I felt standing there singing my little heart out. It was too cold for cleavage.

Then we three went to lunch and it was just the best day.

3 comments:

alexis said...

a particularly nice post:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica, glad you liked your trip to New York recently! It's too bad you didn't come for auditions this week, it's been over 60 degrees here.

As someone who covers opera and the arts I'm sure you know it's been a challenging few months at City Opera.

During this time our general email inbox overflowed with messages of support from fans, alumni, subscribers, musicians, and donors with messages about how much they love this company.

We were so inspired we decided to make a series of videos to feature these people and others talking about what City Opera means to them. We shot over 10 hours of interviews culled down to our first video here:

www.IamCityOpera.com

City Opera was founded as the "People's Opera" and this video really captures that spirit. We are really proud of this project are happy to report that the company is on the road to an exciting future.

As someone who blogs about the arts we would be so appreciative if you could consider placing a link on your blog telling people about IamCityOpera.com

Best regards,
Chrissy Fleming
Marketing Assistant
New York City Opera

Jessica said...

Hi Chrissy!

I'd be glad to!

Jessica