Friday, September 05, 2008

I simply adore my friends

Last night, while on the way home from a coaching, I got a difficult call from a very close family member, concerning wedding arrangements and all the things you might expect considering I'm getting married in less than two months. I don't know what it is about weddings, but they seem to just make everyone go bat shit crazy. Any way, the conversation was emotionally charged and full of psychologically trying ramifications on many levels. Let's just say, I had a feeling I would have trouble getting to sleep later that night. That said, my latest coping strategy has been to strive for acceptance of, not resistance to, things that occur over which I have no control. And oooohhh how it's helped in the past few months. But last night, when I put the phone down, I found myself back in the old pattern, saying: "Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to deal with THIS on top of everything else?"

Which, of course, is exactly the wrong attitude. Why NOT me, really. But it's tough when it's someone you love and want to trust has your best interest at heart. So I needed very badly to be yanked out of my horrific self-pity complex.

Therefore, it was awfully lucky that Ms. A's birthday was yesterday and I could be pleasantly distracted by celebrating the lovely person that she is. I LOVE going out, and I haven't been doing much of it lately-- this was just what the doctor ordered. Everyone was so fun, and we laughed a lot, but the thing I appreciate most is that we don't have to remain politely subdued. There were some pretty impassioned moments in a political discussion we had later on in the evening, and somehow, after all the smoke had cleared...I think we could all understand where people were coming from and why. In other words, we can just be ourselves, and speak our minds, and everybody's cool with it.

What an unbelievable contrast to the phone conversation I had had just minutes before stepping out to meet up with everyone.

After my bridal shower, my aunts commented on how diverse and, well, great, my friends were. Yes, I said, They have been VERY carefully selected. :)

No comments: