Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Tuesday: Memorization station

Friday's audition was rather kick-ass if I do say so myself. The whole commute to NYC went so remarkably smoothly, comfortably, and non-annoyingly that it almost scared me. I enjoy auditioning for so many reasons. Very near the top of the list would be observing other singers in their not-so-natural habitat. I love to see what the girls are wearing, I love to hear the chatting, the lingo, I am energized by the environment. I am learning to turn off the comparing voice in my head when I see the thinner, more beautiful sopranos walking out of the audition room, so that no longer is such an issue for me, and it's crazy how much more I enjoy the whole process of going to sing an audition. I don't want to give the impression that I'm THAT evolved, however, that with the right combination of hormones, things couldn't seriously deteriorate, if you know what I mean.

Focusing on what IS my job and leaving all the other stuff out of it makes life way more fun.

Well, this week, despite the fact that ye old google calendar looks like crayola threw up all over it, (aka I'm really busy), I kind of need to memorize ten pieces for a recital on Sunday. They're at that scary point in the process where I still screw the words up waaaayyy too often, but it's ALMOST there. Yikes. Onward.

No comments: