Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday

I now realize that my last post made actually very little sense. I am not surprised, to tell you the truth, my brain is addled with the various chemicals I have been giving it to get this infection out of its system! Yesterday, I had my first coaching since before Christmas (although I had others scheduled I had to cancel because of an inability to phonate), and it was a bit rough, but it felt good to know that no, I had in fact NOT done irreparable damage to my cords because of all the coughing. There were some moments of true worry, I must say.

So, I write my teacher an email that goes something like this:

"I have to sing in a competition in a week, and haven't practiced in two weeks. What do I do to get everything back in time??? AUGHHH I am scared!!!"

A few hours later I receive an email that goes something like this:

"You know what to do. Go slow, go easy, rest, hydrate, trust yourself."

So, basically, why, after 15 years of studying voice do I still feel compelled to ask someone else to tell me what to do???? It's not like I've never been in this situation! Trust myself. Wow, what a concept.

I am still in the stage of feeling I have to be very protective of my cords when I sing and I hate that, because it is as though I am not really doing myself any good by not leaning more on my voice. Why practice if you can't really practice, you know? It's hard to go slow. But I'll do it.

No comments: