Friday, March 08, 2013

The "luxury" of preparation


Hello all…I’ve been a very bad blogger lately.  Like really bad.  It’s been almost a week since I’ve seen you. 

It’s been an intense week for lots of reasons, and I just haven’t had much to say!  But I am looking forward to having my darling home this weekend since it is his spring break, and we are so happy about it!

I’m preparing for three competitions, working every night on my rep, trying to fit in some Bach and Strauss here in there so I don’t get too bogged down with arias!   But I am falling madly in love with my rep, the closer I get to it, the more I know it, and I am remembering what it used to feel like to know your audition arias really well!  I feel like I have been changing my rep so much, that it has been forever since I felt really settled with my music.

Actually, I’ve said this before here, but I feel like many of us have so much happening and have to do so many different things to make a living that our level of preparedness for things has to evolve too.  We either become amazing at learning music and gaining that comfort level very quickly, or become used to never feeling totally prepared.  For most of us, I wager it’s a little of both. 

You show up for a gig, and the director asks for an aria or two for a donor event, and by the way can you learn and memorize this duet or ensemble by you know, next week?  And you say yes, knowing you have no time to learn it, because no would be the wrong answer, and you just know that you will end up performing something that you are just hanging onto by the toes.

So having the luxury to sing things you’ve sung many times before is one to be appreciated.

As are impromptu lunches with friends and meetings that eat up half the day and suddenly…whoops…its time to go home!

No comments: