Monday, March 04, 2013

Weekend Recap

The recital was fabulous.  I cried the whole time.  I don't know what is about texts by Emily Dickinson, but I'm very touched by them, and I'm sure I'm not the only person.  Then, there's Knoxville!  Ahhh...that piece is such a tear-jerker, whether you had a great childhood or a medium one or a bad one, it just works every time...the melody comes back and waterworks!

I ran into so many fabulous singing types and musical types at the recital, it was great to reconnect with folks I haven't seen in a while, and really should see way more often.  Then I got to thinking after a conversation with my friend, the networking terminator, I need to attend at least one arts event a week, and make a concerted effort to really chat with people afterward.  I mean, I feel like my whole life is basically an arts event, but you know what I mean.

My other thing is that sometimes after concerts, I am a little bit of an emotional wreck, especially with song recitals, and I feel like visiting can break the spell of an experience I want to extend as long as possible.  After all, I do go to concerts because I love to experience music, and let it get to me.  But it is time for me to bring extra concealer and some powder, and pull myself together.  Because you know what networking is, right?  Having a conversation!  I have so much anxiety when I refer to networking as networking, because I am not good at self-promoting in the traditional sense, but it is not as difficult to have an upbeat conversation and to reply with a great attitude and no down-playing or self-deprecating when someone asks you what you've been up to.

Yesterday, I'd planned to attend an opera performance that many of my friends were singing, but I totally biffed it, and when I went online to get a ticket for the event, it was sold-out!  Which is great for them!  But I'm sorry my procrastination made me miss it.

However, I took the opportunity to go to a meditation workshop instead.  People, let me just tell you: it was HARD.  I didn't think I would have as much trouble.  My mind wandered, my back ached.  I had to focus so intently to stay awake.  But it was amazing in that I learned that if one can control their focus and their thoughts, one can do literally anything.  And, much like singing, it takes a lot of practice.  I am dreading it a bit, but I know that starting a daily practice would be extremely good for me at this point in my life, and I think I'm just going to have to do it.

If I just pick a place in my house and put the cushion on the floor, then I will be reminded every time I walk by that I need to start my practice.  And that will be the first step.

No comments: