Tuesday, June 10, 2008

hot

As Paris would say-- It's "Hot." Like really hot.

Like so hot that we've been sleeping on the pull out couch in the living room every night so we can be closer to the window unit.

Yesterday, however was the world's hottest day, and I had an audition at an un-air-conditioned venue in Philly. And get this-- it was on the third floor and there was no elevator!!! When I had finally trudged up to the lady's room, I was too sweaty to get my clothes off to change...so I tried to stand still and fan myself to cool off.

I had to keep wiping my face off while trying to put on my make-up, and when I finally got all dressed and beautiful, I looked like a drippy, horrific mess after about ten seconds. And I couldn't get my breath. It was starting to kind of feel like a bit of a bad situation....

So I met Joe in the practice room for a warm up, and there he was, too, basically dying of heat stroke.

"Well, babe," He said with a watery smile, "If you can sing here, you can sing anywhere."

And with those words, I decided to stop being pissed and take it on as a kind of challenge. Like, you know, the what-are-the-worst-possible-conditions-you-can-possibly-think-of-to-sing-in-and-then-still-totally-nail-it challenge.

I don't know if I nailed it, but I certainly faked like I wasn't dying and tried to focus on the task at hand, and it went pretty darn well. Then I went to my dress rehearsal and faked like I wasn't exhausted!

Long day, and tonight is the opening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Break a leg for tonight's opening Jessica.

N.

Jessica said...

thank you, N!