Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wednesday

This week has gone by in a flash. And has left me sitting at a desk with half the week gone and a really bad hair day. My mane is not at its best, which ticks me off, but I realize of course, there are worse things.

Monday, my first New York audition this fall, and it was nice because it was a little bit less formal, and I could ease myself back into the idea of bleeding out vocally in front of people I don't know. That sounds very dramatic, but you all know, since I have said it before, that I actually like auditioning. It is only when I stop and take time to actually think about what I'm doing that it gets dicey.

OMG. So, we got to NYC in plenty of time, and thank goodness I had my diva driver along, because he is skilled at driving in New York, having once lived there. I, on the other hand, mostly take the bus, and if I do drive, park at the first parking lot I see as soon as I get out of the tunnel, and just take the subway or a cab to wherever I need to go. The last time I tried to drive through Manhattan, I was traumatized. I decided to warm up at Ripley Grier on 72nd, which was the closest location to my audition. Lovely. Except that there are no parking garages around there at all. And it was a monsoon. When we finally spotted a garage, and pulled in, we discovered that for three hours it was going to cost us $48. So that was depressing. But I suppose that is why god made credit cards, and I didn't have time to be schlepping around looking for other options.

Mind you, I had risen that morning at 6 am so that I would have time to curl my hair and get my face on, and the weather channel was only calling for a 30% chance of rain in NYC. Well, by the time we got there and were parked, it was a down pour, a steady, windy one. With only one umbrella, there wasn't much hope that any of us would stay dry. But as soon as we stepped outside, a gust of wind blew my dress up around my eyeballs, and all the world could see my drawers. While in the same moment, the umbrella Joe was holding promptly turned inside out and snapped off. I mean it literally snapped in two.

In less than a minute, we were drenched, and running from awning to awning, looking for a trash can to throw the horrible useless umbrella away. We finally made it to a Starbucks where we could get some coffee and go to the bathroom and dry off before heading over to the studio. I couldn't stop laughing. I mean I literally thought the whole thing was so funny. Which is kind of amazing when you consider that I'd gotten up at six to do my hair that was ruined in five seconds flat.

I am one of those frustrating people that has no qualms about throwing fits in public. As we sat guzzling coffee and catching our breath, Joe confessed he was impressed that the whole scenario hadn't sent me into a screaming fit, like when we went bike riding in New Mexico and the flies kept biting me, and I was getting dirty and dusty, and I just spontaneously began screaming at the top of my lungs that I wanted to go back to the hotel and that the god damn flies keep biting me.

No, for some reason, this time it had been funny. So I got to the studio, warmed up, combed out my hair, fixed my make-up and went back out and had a great audition. Good thing I was wearing a quick drying audition dress.

No comments: