Thursday, October 09, 2008

noticing a pattern

It used to be that I was totally exhausted by Friday. That Friday was the day I crashed: walked in to work wearing god knows what, having shown no apparent interest in my make-up or clothes, clutching a large coffee, with drooping features and large circles under my eyes. That was before the wedding planning and Boheme.

Now, my friends, Thursday is the new Friday, and I find myself at this desk barely able to keep my eyes open, worried about gluing flowers on branches, worried about rehearsal tomorrow night, worried that I'm not practicing as much as I need to to be fabulous, sad that I'm finally doing a role I always dreamed about but there is so much other crazy stuff going on (moving, wedding, job) that I can't throw myself into it as I would like, trying to keep myself from bursting into tears. I did manage, somehow, to put on a decent outfit. I think.

Around 9 am, when I was actually already supposed to be at work, I had Joe drive me around the block so that I could stop and get another coffee. Well, just as we pulled up, naturally the big boss of the school walked in the door, and since I was supposed to be at work I couldn't go in and show my face. So, no coffee for Jess.

Tea? Yes, I can boil some water in the carcinogen-producing (oh, I am so not spelling that right) electric kettle. But tea is dumb and I don't like tea that much and I am falling apart.

This is all very ridiculous and dumb, I realize, in light of the stock market crashing, the possibility of another republican president looming on the horizon, world hunger, injustice, Darfur, Tibet, etc. I also realize that I was the one who chose to have a rather large wedding (or so it would seem at this point), instead of simply going over to the courthouse and doing it, or going to Vegas, or having it in a bowling alley, like my boss always jokes that I should. So it really is my own fault, but I know I will be so glad and realize it was all worth it.

I promise that in about an hour I will be over it. I really will.

No comments: