Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Loves it

I love Christmas. Like a lot. And for the first time, as a married person, I'm in the position of needing begin some new traditions, separate from our families, for this year.
I've got some ideas, and we've made some plans, but I guess we'll have to see whether we like them enough to make them a tradition. I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself to make it "magical." Or something like that.

One thing I'd like to try doing, oddly enough, is roasting a turkey. I became kind of intrigued with the process at Thanksgiving, so the plan is to buy one on sale and try it out on a random monday night when it doesn't matter if it's ruined and I could potentially just throw it out. No one to impress, and no pressure to perform. At my stage of life, it stands to reason that I've got a good 15 years before I'd be called upon to make a turkey myself, but you never know. With mothers around, who would want to eat mine? Nobody-- that's who.

Another Christmas observation: whenever I hear Christmas songs being played in the stores, I feel like crying. What can this possibly mean? That I am hormonal wreck? That I am a freak? Or just that I am a hopelessly idealistic sap?

The good news is: I have my VERY own holly tree in the back yard. How's that for holiday magic?

2 comments:

rahree said...

you might want to start with a turkey breast...my husband is an athlete who loves meat, but the year that i tried a whole turkey for the 2 of us we had WAY too much...to the tune of not eating any the following year. it might just be us, but the smaller portion is just right for dinner and a few days of leftovers. regardless, you'll do a great job, whichever you decide!

Jayme said...

I'm sorry to say that your first married Christmas will be magical; you just can't help it. And I cry when I hear Christmas music too--I love you for that.