Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Wednesday

Tonight, I'm singing a little joint recital with a friend, with the sole purpose of brushing up the audition arias. It's nothing big, but I am feeling slightly insecure, as two of the arias are BIG and new to me-- the first time I will sing them memorized in front of anyone! Everything else is very secure, things I've been singing for a long time, and have no reason to worry about. And after all-- it's supposed to be for practice, so a mistake or two wouldn't be the end of the world.

I love singing, but the words to Rusalka are stressing me out, people. I really can't commit them to memory as easily as usual, and I'm attributing it to the Czech situation. Lots of the same words, over and over, in different sentences so that it just ends up being really confusing. And you know what they say about simple arias...they are the hardest to pull off.

Since I have an important audition this weekend, the performance comes at a good time. There were no specifics given as to what the panel is hoping to hear, and so I expect I will simply do an edit of my binder and bring in everything I could feel comfortable singing, so that there is a wide variety to choose from. I'm not excited about this audition like I usually am, and I think it's really the unknown factors that keep me from feeling like I can be really and totally prepared for some reason. As with all auditions, however, I think it's really just a matter of going in with an ass-kicking kind of mind set, and being in the moment, being the character, and being professional before and after. Serenity now.

The plan for tonight is to wear a strapless cocktail dress that makes me feel hot, and hopefully will translate to my singing as well... Can you tell I'm nervous?

I'm excited to a have a drink after this thing tonight. Yes I am.

No comments: