Thursday, July 05, 2012

Things from the 4th

I love the Fourth of July-- it brings out the best in people.  And I have to say I really love when it falls in the middle of the week, because there is none of that "holiday weekend" pressure to do something really cool for the whole weekend, or spend it being bored if you are poor int he summer like me.  When there is one day, you make the most of it.  I went to some sales in the morning, ordered pizza for lunch at the pool, and then went to a friend's for a fabulous barbecue and fireworks.  Here are some of my revelations:

1. Life is really more fun when we dress for the occasion!  Joe and I both wore red, white, and blue yesterday, and every time I looked at myself in the mirror (in between playing hide and seek with the little boys), I felt good.

2. I heard something that made me stop and think, and really fits where I am in my vocal development now:  "People confuse their life's purpose with what they want rather than what they already have." I have been in "who I am going to be" mode in my singing life for so long, that it took a big bolt from the blue to make me realize that while I will never stop growing, who I am right now, what I have that is special now, not who I hope to be or what others have speculated that I may someday sing, is what I have to offer.   There is nothing more striking or electrifying than an artist who is singing the rep that is REALLY right for them at this moment, their voice and their whole persona.   And it is striking because it is so rare.

3. Watermelon and fried chicken may in fact be my favorite foods.

4. Bach's Cantata "Wachet, betet, betet, wachet," BWV 70: sheer joy.  Check it out.

No comments: