Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Waiting for the call


We've all done it. You try to pretend you're busy with important things like homework and planning your brilliant career, that you don't have most of your self-worth and self-esteem and self- everything invested in this, then your roommate gets a call from her mother on the one phone in the house (this is back in college when talking on cell phones was still really expensive...looong ago), and you start to totally freak out.

It takes some of us longer to realize how pathetic we're being by waiting around by the phone for a BOY to call. When roommate A rolls her eyes at you, and roommate B asks if you want to go to the library, and roommate C plies you with food, and still all you want to do is stand around looking at the phone, you know you've got a serious problem.

The advent of cellphones and free anytime minutes made this torture a little more mobile. Now you don't have to "sit around," you can go to the gym and wait, you can go to the mall and wait, you can wait your little self to death without ever having to change your routine. Yes, you can drive yourself one hundred percent completely mad over a man while still doing all the other stuff you have to do. Gotta love technology.

And excuse me for living, but I thought that having a fiancee meant that I would never have to do that again. I thought I traded all that in for comfort, security, and someone to come home to. Love, after all, means never having to wait by the damn phone!

But somehow, I seem to be waiting again. Just like the rest of you opera types-- our particular brand of waiting is just as painful...it's the did-I-get-the-job?-they-said-they'd-call torment and I reallllly realllly hate it! It's killing me. This week! You said you'd call this week!!! I NEEEED you to call now!!

And all the while, my entire head is exploding with allergies and I went to the doctor thinking my tonsil was swollen, but apparently that's how they're supposed to look, so that was embarrassing. And my neti pot and Zyrtec and Mucinex are working overtime and I'm scared!

Today, I think, will be a rather neurotic day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing. I hope you get better (and that role) soon.

N.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha welcome to maried life hun.....guys and phones...what can you say.