Wednesday, November 28, 2012

First world singer problems


Okay, so tis the season to be going to New York every time you turn around.  Well, at least if you’re like me and somehow don’t already live there.  Now don’t get me wrong, I jump at the chance to go.  It is truly my happy place.  But one very significant first world problem I seem to be experiencing is that I don’t have a bag that really fits all my stuff.

You know:

-Hairspray
-Brush
-Make-up
-Binder
-I-pad
-Wallet
-Shoes
-Dress
-Hose/support garments (must have!!)
-Water bottle
-Turkey dinner with all the trimmings (In my fantasies, but certainly it would enhance my singing powers if I did have that.  I hear stuffing soothes the cords.)

Even if I did have a bag this big it would hurt horribly to carry it hither and yon from bus to rehearsal space to audition to lesson and back again.  I thought I had the perfect bag (girls think about these things) but it turns out it really hurts my shoulder and leaves me sore and grumpy for my audition.  So what do I do?  Surely there is some able-bodied young person for hire that might be able to become my servant for very low pay (i.e. the fun of being around me and my winning personality) and carry all my things.

Well no, there isn’t.

I toyed with the idea of buying hairspray and a little brush at Duane Read when I arrive, using them, and then throwing them out before the trek back to the bus.  But they are not nearly so heavy as the shoes, dress, binder, water bottle and I-pad, none of which I can afford to offload in the interest of comfort.

So I’m going out tonight to look for one.   Let’s see what I come up with.  And seeing as my budget for this is a little low, it may be that I will just have to put up with the shoulder pain and compensate instead by taking cabs everywhere.

See, I told you it was a first world problem.

No comments: