Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Obstacle Obliteration Step 3: Just stop it.

So now, I've done a lot of what I do best:  overanalyze.  I know what my problem is.  I know what it affects, I know why its there.  Now its time for the most complex and difficult to execute step of all:

JUST CUT IT OUT.

Which, once you make up your mind to stop allowing the obstacle to be an obstacle, it can take a lot of concentration to keep it that way.  So, here's how it goes for me:  At home I will practice not editing myself, saying what I feel, and trusting myself.  When I hear something absolutely negative and self-doubting come flying out of my mouth, I'll say, "Gosh darn it, Jessica, you don't REALLY believe that about yourself, do you?"

When I practice, I will sing with abandon and conviction, always singing and emoting from my heart, and doing what I think others would like to see, not taking on issues that others have created (stereotypes).  I will strive to not feel bad about the idea being great at something, and to allow the idea of success and joy in accomplishment to become part of my everyday thoughts.   I will hear my dear undergraduate voice teacher's phrase in my head: "Go out there and be Jessica wonderful!"

No comments: